28: Rethinking Parenting, Entrepreneurship, Work, & Motherhood with Sarah K Peck of Startup Pregnant
My guest today is an author, a startup advisor, a yoga teacher, wife and mom based in New York City. Her writing and business projects have been featured in more than 75 different publications, including The New York Times, Fast Company, The Huffington Post, Forbes, 99U, Psychology Today, Life Hacker, Thought Catalog, and the list goes on….
My guest is the founder and executive director of Startup Pregnant, a media company documenting untold stories of what it looks like to be a woman in leadership, life, and work. The Startup Pregnant Podcast shares long-form stories of parenting, business, entrepreneurship, and growth.
She has a fascinating story and we only get to touch on some of her life experiences on this episode – but you can check out the show notes for a link to her website to learn more.
Listen in as my guest and I discuss:
- her experience with a difficult pregnancy and how that took her by surprise
- we talk a lot about puke… ok, not really that much – but my guest was sick and throwing up for 18 weeks of her pregnancy while working in a startup setting and she shares her experience and her a-ha moments
- why she is so passionate about women’ stories and giving them a platform to share
- how we can change and challenge the meaning of ‘work’ and break the status quo, especially for women and moms
- and she gives some great tips for tweaking your work schedule if you are in a traditional 9 to 5 job
- the importance of subtle adjustments when it comes to your life and work
- we talk about isolation in general and specific to new women and moms and how this inspired her to start Startup Pregnant
- how she transitioned out of her job to start her own business when her child was 6 months old
- why the feeling of imposter syndrome is the first indicator that you should be pursuing the ’scary’ thing
- how she looks as pregnancy as a leadership excellorator and what she learned about efficiency and prioritization and how to do less by focusing on what is really important
Sarah’s Website: https://www.sarahkpeck.com
StartUp Pregnant Website: https://startuppregnant.com
StartUp Pregnant Podcast: https://startuppregnant.com/podcast/
The Righteous Mind, Jonathan Haidt: https://www.amazon.com/Righteous-Mind-Divided-Politics-Religion/dp/0307455777
Forbes article, https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahkathleenpeck/2018/02/06/stay-connected-working-home/#60c110ea51f2
Healthy Women’s Summit Event Link:
Support for this podcast comes from listeners like you! For the price of a cup of coffee, you can help make episodes like this one possible. AND you’ll be contributing to the growth of The Engine Mom movement which includes bi-weekly episodes and bonus content, virtual support and mastermind groups, online coaching and so much more.
Head on over to our Patreon page at patreon.com/emom to learn more about how you can be a part of this movement!
From the bottom of my heart – thank you!
Subscribe: iTunes | Stitcher | Google Play