Lily Nichols is a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist, Certified Diabetes Educator, researcher, and author with a passion for evidence-based prenatal nutrition and exercise. Drawing from the current scientific literature and the wisdom of traditional cultures, her work is known for being research-focused, thorough, and sensible. Her bestselling book, Real Food for Gestational Diabetes (and online course of the same name), presents a revolutionary nutrient-dense, lower carb diet for managing gestational diabetes. Her unique approach has not only helped tens of thousands of women manage their gestational diabetes (most without the need for blood sugar-lowering medication), but has also influenced nutrition policies internationally.
Lily’s second book, Real Food for Pregnancy, is an evidence-based look at the gap between conventional prenatal nutrition guidelines and what’s optimal for mother and baby. With over 930 citations, this is the most comprehensive text on prenatal nutrition to date.
Lily is also creator of the popular blog, www.PilatesNutritionist.com, which explores a variety of topics related to real food, mindful eating, and pregnancy nutrition.
Listen in today to hear my guest expand on:
- the work she does with women and other health care providers and what influenced her work
- why the typical prenatal nutrition guidelines tend to exclude a lot of nutritient-dense foods and the evidence behind what is optimal for a Mom’s health and baby’s development in utero
- her experience with writing her second book while raising an infant and how she tackled the challenge while staying sane
- her recommendation for reading nutrition labels and a reminder of how to be more conscious of where you’re getting your carbs
- how she tunes in and uses mindful eating to manage her meals and help her feel energized, maintain weight and eliminate food drama and the basic nutritional principles she recommends for those who might feel overwhelmed by an overload of information
- Lily’s Website: www.PilatesNutritionist.com
- Lily’s Book: http://realfoodforpregnancy.com/
- Real Food for Pregnancy on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Real-Food-Pregnancy-Lily-Nichols/dp/0986295043/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525463615&sr=8-3&keywords=real+food+for+pregnancy
- Lily’s Book: Real Food for Gestational Diabetes: https://www.amazon.com/Real-Food-Gestational-Diabetes-Conventional/dp/0986295000/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1525463615&sr=8-4&keywords=real+food+for+pregnancy
- Lily’s Interview on Sustainable Dish: https://sustainabledish.com/real-food-radio-episode-006-gestational-diabetes-with-lily-nichols-rd/
- Book: The First 40 Days: https://www.amazon.com/First-Forty-Days-Essential-Nourishing/dp/1617691836
Support for this podcast comes from listeners like you! For the price of a cup of coffee, you can help make episodes like this one possible. AND you’ll be contributing to the growth of The Engine Mom movement which includes bi-weekly episodes and bonus content, virtual support and mastermind groups, online coaching and so much more.
Head on over to our Patreon page at patreon.com/emom to learn more about how you can be a part of this movement!
From the bottom of my heart – thank you!
Subscribe: iTunes | Stitcher | Google Play