Today you will hear from Lisa Ryan, a Mama of 2 who has been doing CrossFit since 2004. She’s a former regional level competitor, a CrossFit Level 2 trainer and also a Pregnancy and Postpartum Athleticism Specialist through Brianna Battle’s coaching program – we mention “Bri” several times in this interview and we’re referring to Brianna Battles, strength and conditioning coach and Creator of Pregnancy & Postpartum Athleticism.
After having her second son she decided to change careers from a high school English teacher of 12 years, to a pregnancy and postpartum athleticism trainer.
She never thought she would change careers; however, it became her heart project that she could not ignore. Lisa is on a mission to help moms avoid the misinformation, confusion, panic, pain, and fear that I experienced returning to CrossFit and during daily physical demands of motherhood. Even though advertisements on social media show a “one size fits all” answer for postpartum fitness, each situation is drastically different. Lisa provides her clients with an individualized approach to both empower and also heal the mind and body.
Listen in to hear Lisa expand on:
- her transition from teaching high school English in to coaching CrossFit and launching her business
- how her mindset shifted between her first and second pregnancy in terms of training during pregnancy and postpartum recovery
- her experience with a severe case of diastsis recti and how she found the support she needed to start her healing process
- how networkings can help you find a pelvic floor physical therapist to support you and your goals and how empowering that can be to have that professional in your corner especially during postpartum recovery
- and why your “WHY” when it comes to training during pregnancy and postpartum is so important
I should say that we definitely got passionate during this conversation and the comments made about things like postpartum care in reference to OBs and midwives is not meant to offend health care providers, but more to encourage women to be advocates for their health.
Links Mentioned in Episode:
- Lisa’s Website: www.lisa-ryan.com
- Lisa on Instagram: @lisa.marie.ryan
- Lisa on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LisaMarieRyan22/
- Pregnancy & Postpartum Athleticism Website: https://pregnancyandpostpartumathleticism.com/
- Julie Foucher’s Podcast: http://juliefoucher.com/podcast/
- Health Habits Happy Moms Podcast: http://www.healthyhabitshappymoms.com/category/hhhm-radio/
Support Old Ellicott City Flood Relief Efforts:
Support for this podcast comes from listeners like you! For the price of a cup of coffee, you can help make episodes like this one possible. AND you’ll be contributing to the growth of The Engine Mom movement which includes bi-weekly episodes and bonus content, virtual support and mastermind groups, online coaching and so much more.
Head on over to our Patreon page at patreon.com/emom to learn more about how you can be a part of this movement!
From the bottom of my heart – thank you!
Subscribe: iTunes | Stitcher | Google Play